As one of the largest military installations in the world, Fort Hood offers an abundance of on-post housing. Recognizing that landlord/tenant issues can be overwhelming for Soldiers, the Legal Assistance Office explains leases and assists in negotiating disputes. Tenants are encouraged to consult with the Legal Assistance Office before making their own repairs, ceasing payment of rent, or breaking their lease. Tenants should also keep their chains of command apprised of ongoing issues, such as unresolved repair requests, to increase situational awareness. The following are some of the common questions of Soldiers in the Fort Hood housing community.

What should I do before I sign a lease?

Before you sign the lease, you should read it carefully and have it reviewed by an attorney at the Fort Hood Legal Assistance Office. The lease is a legally binding contract between you and the owner/property manager. The lease, as well as addendums and Resident’s Guide, explains your rights and responsibilities. It is important that you understand what you agreed to.   

How do I request repairs?

You can call Housing for repairs. The best practice is to make your repair request in writing. This can be done by letter or email. Written repair requests are a formal way of documenting what you need fixed and when you asked for the repair. Tenants written repair requests should specify the area to be repaired and include pictures, if possible.

Can I break my lease or stop paying rent if Housing does not make the repair?

No. Before you break your lease, you should meet with an attorney at the Fort Hood Legal Assistance Office. There are very limited circumstance in which you may be able to break your lease. The consequences can be severe if you wrongly break your lease. You should talk to an attorney first. You are never allowed to withhold rent.   

Can I break my lease or stop paying rent if my house has mold?

If you believe that your home has mold, the first step is to address mold concerns as set forth in the Mold Addendum. If you believe that mold has harmed you or your Family, you should contact a private attorney to discuss your concerns. The Legal Assistance Office can give you a list of local attorneys.

My property was damaged by mold or some other incident. What can I do?

Tenants may receive payment for personal property damaged in their on-post housing by filing a personnel claim. Common incidents that result in payment for damaged property include: damage from burst water pipes; leaking roof; damage from smoke or fire; hail damage to cars; and theft from a secured home. The Fort Hood Claims Office, located in Bldg. 13, is open weekdays from 1-5 p.m. to assist tenants in filing personnel claims online. Personnel claims must be filed with the Center for Personnel Claims Support within two years of the incident causing the loss. For questions about personnel claims, please call 502-626-3000 or 254-287-2299, or email usarmy.knox.hqda-otjag.mbx.cpcs@mail.mil. To file a claim online go to http://www.jagcnet.army.mil/Pclaims.

What do I do if Housing is not addressing my repair request?

Legal Assistance may be able to help you talk to Housing about your repair request. Whether or not a condition materially affects the Tenants physical health and safety or the Landlord has engaged in diligent efforts to repair the matter is determined on a case-by-case.

I have orders to PCS, can I break my lease early?

Yes. If you have military orders that are for 90 days or longer or you have permanent change of station orders (including ETS orders) you can terminate your lease early. You must give Housing a written notice of your intent to end the lease early and a copy of your orders or a memo from your command. Legal Assistance can help you write the letter to Housing.

Can Housing contact my chain of command if I owe them money?

No. Housing cannot contact your chain of command about an alleged debt. Debt collectors are prohibited from contacting third parties about debt, except for the purpose of trying to get debtors contact information.  

If you have an issue with your housing you can contact the Fort Hood Legal Assistance Office and schedule an appointment to speak with attorney.