Fort Hood Sentinel
Standing watch over Fort Hood since 1942
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25, 2015  02:17:43 PM

Prosecution, defense rests in Hasan case

Email   Print   Share By III Corps and Fort Hood Public Affairs Release
August 22, 2013 | News
View Larger Image
A sketch depicts a witness testifying during the U.S. v. Maj. Nidal M. Hasan. Courtesy sketch by Brigitte Woosley, AP
View Larger Image
After 11 days of testimony from 89 witnesses, the government rested its case in chief at 12:30 p.m., Tuesday in the case of U.S. v. Nidal M. Hasan.

The judge, Col. Tara Osborn, began Tuesday’s session reviewing the witness list from the defense. Hasan stated he did not wish to have Dr. Lewis Rambo, a religious conversion expert, testify on his behalf.

Osborn ordered the government to ensure Rambo was present for a face-to-face conversation and in the event Hasan changed his mind.

The government’s final five witnesses began with testimony from photographer Steven Bennett who had photographed an individual he testified was Hasan on Nov. 5, 2009. Those photographs were shown to the panel corroborating prior testimony of individuals in the area at the time of the shooting. Additional testimony from a bystander also corroborated the shootout between the civilian police officers and the shooter.

The government read a stipulation of expected testimony for Fort Hood Police Officer Mark A. Todd, Sr., which outlined his version of the shootout between himself and the accused.

No objection was offered by Hasan.

Two additional witnesses testified to Hasan’s reluctance to deploy, one of whom testified to Hasan’s statement that if he was made to deploy, “they will pay.” Also according to witness testimony, the accused had requested a follow-on fellowship in an effort to delay his deployment by two years.

Finally, minor changes were then made to the charge sheets, changing the ranks of two of the victims listed. Once again, no objection was made by the accused.

Wednesday morning, court resumed to allow Hasan to present his defense.

After Osborn told him to proceed, the accused, acting in his own defense, said “the defense rests.”

The court will reconvene at 9 a.m., today, when prosecutors and the defense will give closing statements.

The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Related Articles
  • No related articles found.
Popular News Articles
Subscribe     Fort Hood Sentinel,    RSS Feeds
Site maintained by the Temple Daily Telegram,