Fort Hood Sentinel
Standing watch over Fort Hood since 1942
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 23, 2014  07:31:45 AM

US, New Zealand announce expanded defense cooperation

Email   Print   Share By Nick Simeone, American Forces Press Service
October 31, 2013 | Across DoD
View Larger Image
Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel escorts New Zealand Minister of Defense Jonathan Coleman through an honor cordon and into the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., Monday. Hagel and Coleman will meet to discuss national and regional security items of interest to both nations.
View Larger Image
Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel is presented a jersey for the New Zealand All Blacks Rugby team by New Zealand Minister of Defense Jonathan Coleman during a joint press conference in the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., on Monday. Hagel and Coleman met earlier to discuss national and regional security items of interest to both nations. (Photos by Erin Kirk-Cuomo, DoD)
WASHINGTON - The United States and New Zealand announced Monday a resumption of military-to-military contacts as part of expanded defense cooperation that will see the first visit by a New Zealand naval vessel to an American port in more than three decades.

The announcement followed a meeting at the Pentagon between Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and his New Zealand counterpart, Jonathan Coleman.

Hagel told reporters significant progress had been made in the defense relationship since both countries signed a declaration last year setting out expanded cooperation. The enhanced ties will include the first joint defense policy talks in almost 30 years.

“We look forward to continuing to deepen our defense cooperation in the future,” Hagel said during a Pentagon news conference, with Coleman alongside. “Near-term steps include military-to-military talks next month in Honolulu, New Zealand’s deployment of a frigate to the multinational antipiracy coalition in the Gulf of Aden, and the United States’ upcoming participation in what will be New Zealand’s largest ever multinational and interagency exercise.”

In a gradual easing of a policy that had been in place since 1984, Hagel authorized the New Zealand navy to dock at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, during next year’s RIMPAC military exercises.

“This will be the first time a New Zealand navy ship will have visited Pearl Harbor in more than 30 years,” Hagel said, calling it “another act in strengthening our relationship and the rebalance to the Pacific.”

The policy restricting visits by New Zealand warships to American ports has been in place since 1984 when the ANZUS Treaty between the United States, Australia and New Zealand was partially suspended because of New Zealand’s opposition to nuclear armed or powered U.S. warships visiting its ports. During a visit to New Zealand last year, then-Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta announced an easing of restrictions on visits by New Zealand naval vessels to Defense Department and Coast Guard facilities on a case-by-case basis.

Coleman told reporters New Zealand is looking for areas where it can expand defense cooperation with the United States.

“We’ve made great strides in the defense relationship over the last two years,” he said, adding appreciation for the lifting of restrictions on New Zealand ships docking in U.S. ports. New Zealand’s defense minister also said he is pleased to see the resumption of military-to-military talks after a 30-year break.

During the news conference, Hagel also said he expects the ongoing budget sequester, which he said will reduce Pentagon spending by more than $50 billion if it continues next year, to have an impact on the military’s pivot toward the Asia-Pacific region.

“Continued sequestration cuts will affect all of our plans in all areas,” he said, but he stressed that the rebalance to the region remains a priority.
 
Related Articles
  • No related articles found.
 
Popular Across DoD Articles
 
Subscribe     Fort Hood Sentinel, www.forthoodsentinel.com    RSS Feeds
Site maintained by the Temple Daily Telegram, www.tdtnews.com